When you hear “potato salad,” you probably think of mayo-slathered potatoes mixed with dill. But one particular potato at the makes for a tasty salad that's best served warm.
German potato salad is a great alternative to everyday tater salad. It can even be justified as a “” thanks to low-cal cider in place of high-calorie mayonnaise, and its flavor profile is a nice change of pace.
sells , dug up fresh by Hillebrecht herself each week, at the market. The amber-colored spuds are true to their name, as they're creamy and buttery all on their own. It only makes sense to use a German potato for German salad.
Did you make classic potato salad this weekend? Try it again this coming weekend. Visit the market to grab some butterballs and try out my grandma's Warm German Potato Salad recipe below and see how delicious mayo-free potato salad can really be.
Evelyn Phy's Warm German Potato Salad
- 5 lbs. small German butterball potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 strips bacon, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour/shaken in 1 cup water (a slurry)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Hard boiled eggs, optional
- Fresh parsley, optional
- Boil potatoes until soft.
- Slice in large mixing bowl once cool (skins are optional).
- In large frying pan cook bacon and onion until brown. Remove them both from pan. Use a paper towel to sop up extra grease, but leave any remaining bacon drippings in pan.
- In small bowl, mix vinegar, water and sugar. Pour into frying pan. Heat until mixture bubbles. When it is coming to boil mix slowly the shaken flour/water mixture into pan while stirring constantly. Make sure there aren't any lumps in your flour/water mixture prior to adding to fry pan.
- Continue stirring until mixture in pan thickens–you might not need ALL of the flour/water mixture.
- Take off heat and add the bacon and onion. While still hot, pour over the sliced potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir thoroughly and garnish with fresh parsley and sliced hard-boiled eggs, if so desired.