1. Give blood: Forget Dracula. Let the San Diego Blood Bank "suck" your blood tomorrow at Christ Episcopal Church. Head over between 7:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. for their Halloween Blood Drive to donate blood, or go online and make an appointment. Help save a life before trick-or-treating.
2. Halloween costumes: Didn't have time to get yourself a costume this year? No fear! Head on over to Rite Aid for a quick pick. Need to dress up your little one in a flash? Baby Me Forever has all things princess, pirates and even Spiderman! Taking your dog with you for trick-or-treating? Give Fido a break on the costume and instead get him a party collar from Wag'n Tails to don while he goes door to door.
3. Row for the Cure: End National Breast Cancer Awareness Month by cheering on friends, family and even strangers at Mission Bay as they row for a cure. The race is 4.5 km and begins at 7:00 a.m. All entry fees and donations benefit the Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Come on out in your pink and help support finding a cure!
4. Protect yourself and your child: from the whooping cough! As of Oct. 4, there were 631 confirmed cases of whooping cough in San Diego County, many of the victims being children. Though the disease is treatable with antibiotics, it could also prove deadly, especially in infants. Prevent the whooping cough by getting your Tdap vaccine today! Rite Aid on Orange Avenue carries the Tdap vaccine, or check out this list of places where it's offered in San Diego County.
5. Day for Tri-Colored Candy: Nothing screams Halloween like a big bowl of candy corn. Today, on National Candy Corn Day, celebrate the iconic Halloween treat by noshing on some during college football, giving them as an afternoon snack to your kids, or even putting some in a glass bowl and sticking some gourds or foliage on top for a pretty fall centerpiece.