This weekend will mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. It’s important to take a moment Sunday and stop to remember the innocents who lost their lives and the people who risked theirs trying to save others.
But it's also important to be grateful for what you have so we’ve got a 9/11 tribute event listed below and we also have some fun weekend activities for you and the family.
Stay nearby for a triathlon, tennis carnival, a taste of Coronado or the last in the series of concerts at Spreckels Park, which will be a tribute to those who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks.
Venture out a little farther for some far-away fundraisers and a rough water swim in La Jolla.
Patch also wants to remind you to hug your grandparents on Sunday (it’s Grandparent’s Day!) as well as thank all the men and women who continue to serve our country and protect us, be it military, firefighters or the police.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: Naval Special Warfare Advanced Training Command at 1 Hooper Blvd., Imperial Beach, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday (registration) and 7 a.m. Sunday (actual event).
- Why go: Test out your agility in the triathlon, a 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike ride and 13.1-mile run. Navy SEALs who've died in the War on Terror also will be honored.
- Price: $190-$265.
- When/where: , 1501 Glorietta Blvd., Coronado, 3-5 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Play some tennis. Grab a ball and your racket and go for it. Professionals will be on hand to greet and play with kids.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: The “Baby Del,” 1114 Isabella Ave., Coronado, 5-8 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: A ticket will get you tastings of food from around Coronado, live entertainment and a ticket to a raffle, plus membership to MainStreet Coronado. Bring cash for cocktails, wine and beer.
- Price: $75.
- When/where: , 601 Orange Ave., Coronado, 5 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: It’s the last weekend of the concert in the park series. Sit back and enjoy the Coronado Community Band and pay tribute to those lost on 9/11.
- Price: Free.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: , 700 Prospect St., La Jolla, 6:30 p.m.-1 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: It’s a burlesque gala for the Museum of Contemporary Art (MCASD). Join well-known burlesque dancer Dita Von Teese and art-lovers for drinks, dinner, dancing and more. This annual gala raises money for the museum’s education programs and exhibitions.
- Price: $650-$2,500.
- When/where:, 230 Quail Gardens Dr., Encinitas, 5-10 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Support the garden’s exhibits and programs while enjoying food, music and art sculptures.
- Price: $200.
- When/where: , 1100 Coast Blvd., La Jolla, 9 a.m.-noon Saturday (check-in), first race begins 8 a.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Five different levels of swimmers will compete in this rough-water swim. Register to participate—you could win $500!
- Price: $20-$120.