Summer is right around the corner, which means that Coronado is getting ready to brace itself for a series of many waves of incoming tourists. While some Coronadans are disgruntled by the presence of tourists, I love it. They keep our sleepy town alive, and if anything, provide the locals with plenty of new material to talk about.
This weekend's great escape is about pretending you are a tourist in your own town. It's the perfect time to take advantage of all that Coronado has to offer its visitors before the streets, sidewalks, and restaurants get over-crowded with outsiders.
Here's the plan:
1. Rent a surrey from . Yes, it's totally touristy and embarrassing, but it's also really fun. You know you want to do it.
2. Cruise down to the beach or head towards the Ferry Landing. I challenge you to wave to every single person you know walking the streets.
3. Eat lunch at the Sun Deck Bar and Grill at , or the bar inside . Enjoy the views from either restaurant. Remember: Some people save all year to visit our little paradise. How lucky are we?
4. Have a silly cocktail—preferably one that includes an umbrella. You're on "vacation!" Live it up!
5. Do a little sunbathing and take an afternoon nap on the beach. It's such an indulgent experience—one that is truly worthy of a day like this.
Now it's time to return your surrey and return to real life, but wasn't that fun? Sure, you may not have taken a Caribbean cruise or a Hawaiian vacation, but Coronado has what they don't: your own bed.
Have a great weekend!